Beryllium is a very light metal that has unique properties, which make it very interesting to numerous industrial applications.
Some physical and chemical characteristics of beryllium:
- Atomic Symbol: Be.
- Atomic Number: 4.
- Atomic weight: 9.012.
- Density: 1.85 g/cm³.
- High melting point: 1287°C.
- Low mass (density 66% less in relation to aluminum, above 80% less to steel).
- High stiffness, and high brittleness too.
- Exceptional thermal stability.
- Excellent thermal conductivity.
Some relevant industrial applications:
- Large scientific instruments.
- Nuclear reactors.
- Aerospace structures.
- Defense applications.
- Beryllium mirrors for optical systems
- X-Ray instruments.